Path of the Rubyist

Betwixt chores and binges of Borderlands 2, I have been attempting to learn the Ruby programming language. First inspired by Arlo and Eric over at the podcast, and getting my first lessons on the language from codecademy, I’ve been really excited about this language. Primarily because its available for free on my Dreamhost hosting, but… Continue Reading →

Toxic plants

I think that most people know that poinsettias are poisonous to animals. But just recently, I learned that lilies are highly toxic to cats as well. Our newest guy, Ezio decided to make a snack out of the flower bouquet I brought home for Sarah this past Friday. Among the flowers in the bouquet were… Continue Reading →

Finally learned how to delete remote branches

I’ve been using command-line git for about a year now. I recently decided to tackle my problem of not knowing how to delete remote branches. I’ve pushed quite a few branches to some remote repos as a means of transporting projects to/from home/work. As a result there are quite a few useless branches in most… Continue Reading →

File paths in Java

Java logo

I despise working with file paths in Java. I can never remember where, in the project’s folder structure, the jvm considers root. And it gets even more complicated once you start running your applications in a server container. However, I did find a quick way to determine where a running JVM considers root. import;… Continue Reading →

A healthy start

The Duchess of Nom

I have the privilege of beginning my new blog with a happy post. My fiance and I spent this past summer doing a TNR program with our neighborhood feral cat colony. It has been a bit of an emotionally challenging, but ultimately rewarding, experience. It started with a pair of adult cats that were breeding on our… Continue Reading →

Added blog security

I don’t have a lot of money, and this blog is more of a hobby than anything, so I haven’t bought any SSL-encryption for this domain. Thanks to lifehacker though, I have learned that two-factor authentication is catching on with several popular services, not just Gmail. To that end, I just installed the Google Authenticator… Continue Reading →

Simple minute addition in Google spreadsheet

I am working on building an after-work schedule, but didn’t want to do everything manually on paper. A quick Google spreadsheet would be perfect for this. It will keep all my data organized and automatically compute time changes so I can experiment to find the most efficient and practical schedule for myself. However, after creating… Continue Reading →

Lost Java

Somehow, I broke my Fedora installation this weekend. After having a great time getting started on my Gravatar project this past Saturday, I settled in for some Labor Day programming yesterday. However, as soon as I tried to open Eclipse, I was given an error message telling me that the command ‘java’ was not in the… Continue Reading →

Restrict all Liferay traffic to be encrypted

Our CTO came to me recently with the results of a PCI audit. One area of non-compliance that the audit discovered was the need to have users log in only through a SSL encrypted gateway. I set about finding a way to accomplish this with Liferay. Thankfully, it was a pretty easy change and didn’t… Continue Reading →

Thank you newegg!

My laptop is back up and running thanks to my new AC adapter from I was operating under the delusion that I needed an OEM adapter for my laptop. Dell thinks that $56 is a fair price for the adapter I need. However, being the cheapskate wise consumer that I am, right before I… Continue Reading →

%d bloggers like this: